Friday, August 18, 2006

Who is a Stranger?

When i took a Taxi this morning to get to Work, the taxi driver(a middle aged Sardarji) , offered me the choco cream busicuits that he was eating. When i refused to take it, he got a little upset and kept it aside and concentrated on driving.

This incident made me wonder wether i did wrong by not taking food stuff from a stranger expecting he might have poisoned it. He was afterall a good natured sardarji and wanted to share and eat. We are taught from childhood not to talk to strangers and also that we must share our things with others. Its a confused set of mindsets that we grow up with. In a perspective of a Young Girl, wasnt i right no accepting Food from a stranger? Or was i wrong for not accepting when he Shared his Food with me?

Would i not accept food from new colleages i meet at office if i think they are from a respectable family? Would i refuse my new neighbour if she invites me for Dinner? Is It the drivers economic status that drove me into not accepting Food from him? Wat defines a stranger for us?

Who is a Stranger?

5 Comments:

Blogger kaustubh said...

Very profound !! but to conclude, its better to be safe than sossy !!

I am just writing this comment to tell you that I read yor blogs as promised !! :)

12:02 PM  
Blogger kaustubh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Meenakshi said...

thanks dude for your time and insightful remarks...

1:21 AM  
Blogger Saurabh Nanda said...

Taxi drivers ARE strangers. This morning (early morning let me add -- 5:30 AM to be precise), I got fleeced -- no, robbed -- by a taxi driver in mumbai. The fare was hardly 100 bucks but he charged me triple the amount (rigged meter + fake tariff card). On top of that he left me in the middle of nowhere on the pretext that "gas khatam ho gaya"... what could have I done? Kept fighting with him till glory?!

Taxi drivers are bastards.

Well, to be fair... we always take a decision based on perceived risk. Taking food from taxi drivers (or the person sitting next to you in the bus) is perceived to be riskier than, say, having dinner with a new neighbour. I'm sure there must be some rare cases where a new neighbour poisoned and old neighbour during their first dinner. But if those kinds of rare cases happen too often, we'll stop having dinner with our neighbours as hell...

That brings me to an important point -- where's my dinner -- I'm hungry!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Prevention is better than cure right:-) Good Move :-)

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home